Everything we know (or think we know) about the upcoming Rogue One plot rumors and confirmed facts.
WARNING: This article contains rumors with potential spoilers for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. And is all the more awesome for it.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens is tearing up the box-office, having recently become the highest grossing film of all time in the U.S. But fans are already looking away to the horizon for the next Star Wars film, which thankfully won’t be much of a wait. Yes, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will be released in just under a year now, on December 16, 2016.
In January of last year, we actually had a lot of rumors surrounding the plot of The Force Awakens. Things have been quieter for Rogue One plot rumors, but now that The Force Awakens has been released, some new Rogue One tidbits are starting to leak in.
We’ve also had a few official peaks at Rogue One, including an official cast list, a small plot teaser, and an official image. It’s not a lot to go on, but we can begin to piece it all together. Many of the rumors I’ve listed here are sourced from MakingStarWars.net, which if you’re not already following them, they are a terrific source for Star Wars rumors. But unless a detail here is marked as official, take it with a grain of salt.
The official cast list was released last August at Disney’s D23 convention, along with the first official cast image which you can see above, and featured the following actors:
- Felicity Jones (the lead actor, Academy Award nominee for The Theory of Everything)
- Diego Luna (Milk)
- Ben Mendelsohn (Bloodline)
- Donnie Yen (Ip Man)
- Jiang Wen (Let the Bullets Fly)
- Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland)
- Mads Mikkelsen (Hannibal)
- Alan Tudyk (Firefly)
- Riz Ahmed (Nightcrawler)
Unofficial casting list include the following. Note that many of these roles may be extremely minor.
- Darth Vader may make a small appearance in the film.
- Real military personnel were brought in as extras in the film (This is really cool since it should heighten the military tone of the film).
- Justin Calignawan (a child actor) may play a creature.
- Jimi Finn may play a marine.
- Nick SKC may play a creature of some kind.
- A Harrison Ford Stand-in for The Force Awakens may play a General in Rogue One.
- Regé-Jean Page may have a small role.
We still have no idea (officially) who any of these characters are. There were once rumors that the film would involve a lot of bounty hunters, and that may still be the case, but given the fact that the film will be more military in nature, it will likely focus more on the Rebels vs the Empire.
Also, it’s worth noting that each of these people will almost certainly be new characters. There was early speculation that Felicity Jones’ character was someone we’ve seen before (such as Sabine in Star Wars Rebels) but given the cast photo, this is false. In the end, we really don’t know who she, or any of the others are, and they are most likely new additions to the Star Wars universe.
Aside from a long list of producers, the most important being Kathleen Kennedy (president of Lucasfilm), John Knoll (story creator), and Kiri Hart (Head of the Lucasfilm Story Group), Rogue One has a few very important crew members including the following.
- The film is directed by Gareth Edwards (Godzilla), and written by Gary Whitta (Book of Eli) and Chris Weitz (Cinderella).
- The story was suggested by John Knoll, long-time visual effects supervisor at ILM.
- Alexandre Desplat (The King’s Speech) will provide the music for the film. This is significant because he will be the first composer to provide music for a Star Wars film who isn’t John Williams.
- Cinematography by Greig Fraser (Zero Dark Thirty)
- Editing by Jabez Olssen (all the Hobbit films)
- Costume Design by David Crossman (Saving Private Ryan)
- Alastair Bullock (Harry Potter) as Supervising Art Director
- Brian Muir, the original sculptor for Darth Vader’s helmet, is working on the film.
We know a lot of other names involved in the crew, but these are the most important. For more, visit the full cast and crew page on IMDB.
We first learned what the plot would focus on last April. There we were shown a small teaser that revealed the basis for the plot and the tone. Unfortunately that teaser was not released to the public, but you can watch a low-quality camera recording right here:
Other than what little is revelaed in that teaser, here are the other Rogue One plot rumors or official statements.
- OFFICIAL: The plot surrounds the Rebels securing the plans for the first Death Star, shortly preceding the events of A New Hope. This was the first major victory for the Rebellion and eventually led to the destruction of the Death Star.
- Mads Mikkelsen’s character may play a Robert Oppenheimer-type character (Oppenheimer worked on the atomic bomb, but then regretted it). Mads’ character may help design the Death Star and work out any of the bugs, but then regrets giving the Empire so much power and defects with the help of his daughter, who may be played by Felicity Jones, the lead character.
- Felicity Jones may have originally been a bounty hunter character, but that may have changed by the final edit of the script.
- Mads Mikkelsen’s character may be named Galen. We know this because Mikkelsen signed a Star Wars poster with that name, but with no further explanation.
So apart from a few things, we still don’t know much about this plot. However, the bit about Mads Mikkelsen being a Robert Oppenheimer character is perhaps the biggest rumor we’ve heard about the plot. If true, that could be an interesting premise for the film.