Each year we are able to view millions of YouTube videos with just a few clicks. Often, viewers will start off watching a certain video, only to find that in less than 10 minutes they were able to go from watching a hilarious JennaMarbles video to stumbling upon a sports clip with highlights from the biggest game of the year. Since the end of 2011 is nearing, NewMediaRockstars, with the help of the video sharing site’s “YouTube Rewind 2011,” has compiled a list of the top 5 viral videos of the year.
5. Coming in fifth is “The Force – Volkswagen Commercial.” The 2012 Volkswagen Passat commercial, directed by Lance Acord of Park Pictures and edited by Jim Haygood of Union, aired during the 2011 Super Bowl and charmed its audience with a tiny version of the “Star Wars” saga’s Darth Vader. The tiny Vader searches his home, using “the force” on various household items including an exercise machine, his dog, the washer and dryer, a doll and even his lunch. It isn’t until the little boy’s father comes home, that he is able to turn the car on — with the help from a handy button on his fathers key, of course. This video has garnered 45,248,798 views thus far.
4. The “Look At Me Now – Chris Brown ft. Lil Wayne, Busta Rhymes (Cover by @KarminMusic)” video, performed by engaged couple, Amy Heidemann and Nick Noonan, wowed millions and successfully captured their incredible talent. While Noonan works the keyboard and chimes in for background vocals, Heidemann sings and manages to rap instead of breath — or so it seems — on the “Look At Me Now” cover. The energy the duo brings to the video makes for an enjoyable viewer experience. It helps that the song makes you want to get up and dance. This video has acquired a total of 49,896,434 views.
3. Who wouldn’t be entertained by “Talking Twin Babies,” absorbed in a language unknown to the rest of the world? These little guys found something worth discussing that just couldn’t wait until they — well, learned how to talk. Of course, we couldn’t help but agree that “Dah, dah, dah, dah, dah, dah” makes for an excellent conversation. The “Talking Twin Babies” have captured the attention from 56,354,483 viewers.
2. “Ultimate Dog Tease” is perhaps one of the cutest things we’ve seen this year. The video features talking pup, Clark Griswold, suffering through a 1.5-minute story about how maple bacon, beef, steak and chicken topped cheese and cat treats were NOT given to him. Viewers couldn’t help but fall in love with Clark’s curious eyes, big ears and funny commentary. “Ultimate Dog Tease” has 75,790,335 views to date.
1. Though “Rebecca Black – Friday” wasn’t every one’s favorite video of 2011, per say, it certainly caught the attention of millions, pushing the video to the number one spot on our list.
According to huffingtonpost.com, Blacks’ original “Friday” music video was removed, which is why the current number of views stops at just over 13 million. The news site reported that the video garnered roughly “167 million plays before it was pulled, adding up to a total of 179,869,966 views for ‘Friday’ as of December 16, when YouTube assembled the list.”
Black, whose parents paid Ark Music Factory to produce a music video for her, became a viral hit despite her awkward music video and song that, many viewers felt, possessed a lack in lyrical creativity. Nonetheless, the 14-year-old has still managed beat out the rest of her competitors for the Top Videos of 2011. Black’s music video has a total of over 180 million views and counting.