In celebration of the geek culture that continues to flourish online, YouTube — in conjunction with Nerdist — has just announced plans for their first ever Geek Week — a week dedicated to highlighting YouTube’s geekiest content that will take place from Sunday, August 4 to Saturday, August 10. During Geek Week, over 100 channels will be releasing original videos, premiering web series and showcasing their video collaborations on YouTube’s main channel. Each day has been broken down by themes and will be hosted by a popular YouTuber who is involved in that particular genre of geek culture. The Geek Week hosts include FreddieW, YOMYOMF, Machinima, Stan Lee’s World of Heroes, and Geek and Sundry.
“With more than half of our top 20 non-music channels dedicated to geek culture, YouTube has become a top destination for fans everywhere to create, share and watch geek content. We’re excited to shine a spotlight on this global community during Geek Week and debut all-new videos and series created by some of our most popular channel partners,” stated Danielle Tiedt, vice president of marketing, YouTube.
While visiting the YouTube Space L.A., NMR caught up with the YouTube creators behind Soulpancake and Cinefix to talk about their upcoming videos for Geek Week and why they’re proud to call themselves “geeks.”
Check out Geek Week’s full schedule below:
- Blockbuster Sunday: A celebration of the iconic characters, movies and shows that define geek culture – plus a spotlight on the best original YouTube sci-fi, fantasy and animation. Hosted by FreddieW.
- Global Geekery Monday: Anime from Tokyo, comic-book heroes from Delhi and a celebration of Doctor Who. Explore geek culture from around the world. Hosted by YOMYOMF.
- Brainiac Tuesday: Science, education and knowledge channels that make YouTube the world’s biggest platform for learning. Hosted by Veritasium and The Spangler Effect.
- Super Wednesday: From hilarious parodies to real-life super-powers, explore superheroes, the supernatural and the super-weird. Plus, released exclusively for Geek Week, the trailer for Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World. Hosted by Stan Lee’s World of Heroes.
- Gaming Thursday: A gamers paradise, with live play-throughs, videogames in real life, game-inspired original series and much more. Hosted by Machinima and Maker Studios‘ Polaris.
- Fan Friday: Sci-fi-themed cooking, incredible cosplay and impassioned nerd debates as YouTube’s biggest fans take center-stage. Hosted by Geek and Sundry.
Don’t forget to check out NMR’s recent coverage of: