Today, YouTube introduced a new feature called Fan Finder, which the company announced was a way for creators to market their channels across YouTube for free.
Creators who want to take advantage of the tool must first create and upload a video introducing viewers to their channel and then submit it to YouTube’s Fan Finder page. The video is then shown across YouTube as a TrueView video ad, which can be skipped after five seconds. The ads will be shown based on an algorithm that matches your content with potential viewers across other channels.
YouTube’s tips for an effective channel ad:
- Keep your channel ad short and engaging: Introduce the viewer to your content; don’t assume they have heard of you or your channel before. Remember, your channel ad will run as a TrueView ad which the viewer can skip after 5 seconds, so get to the point.
- Entertain the viewer: When in doubt “show” what your channel is about, don’t “tell”. If you have a comedy channel make sure your ad is funny, if you have a music channel make sure your ad has music. You get the drift.
- Aim for a strong message: Keep your channel ad focused on your channel and why viewers should subscribe or check out your content.
- Have a clear call to action: What do you want your viewers to do? This should be scripted and annotated in your channel ad. Don’t forget to explain what subscribe means (example: want to see more content? Subscribe here).
- Branding matters: Make sure your branding is clear and reiterated throughout the ad. You want viewers to remember your channel.