The other day, John Green, best-selling novelist and one-half of the vlogbrothers, discovered a horrible mistake. For a long time now, people had been attributing the quote “I’m in love with cities I’ve never been to and people I’ve never met” to his book Paper Towns. So much so that Green decided to sell a poster featuring the quote in his DFTBA store.
Turns out, he didn’t write it.
Green details in the video above how he found out it had actually been written by a 13-year-old Tumblr user and somehow people had mistakenly thought it to be from his book. On the surface, it may seem like a silly mistake (and it’s certainly an embarrassing one), but if people tell you over and over again that you wrote something, well, you may start to assume you did, too.
Regardless, the author is doing the right thing and giving the proceeds from the poster sales to the young girl who actually wrote the line. Way to go, John!
But this scenario has left us scratching our heads — are all these other quotes we thought were said by John Green not actually his, either? Scroll through and decide for yourself…
(And don’t forget to click all the way through to the end to see where else these quotes may be from!)
1. “My inner goddess is doing the merengue with some salsa moves.” -John Green
2. “Not to be rude or anything, but this isn’t really a great time for me to have a House Elf in my bedroom.” –An Abundance of Katherines
3. “I couldn’t care less if they say I’m pregnant with twins by my brother.” -John Green
4. “Where my baes at? I got so many baes, man.” –Paper Towns
5. “I may be dead, but I’m still pretty.” –Looking for Alaska
6. “Got a bow on my panties because my ass is a present.” –The Fault in Our Stars
7. “I am the dragon, and you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. You are an ant in the afterbirth.” -Paper Towns