Maker is having a hell of a NewFronts so far. At the annual industry summit where ad rates are decided and new programming is announced (it’s a digital riff on television’s Upfronts), Maker has just announced a whopping list of new partnerships and new programming. There’s something here for even the most jaded of web journalists.
The full list of announced shows and programming is as follows:
– CAMP – A coming-of-age story, adapted from James Franco’s “Palo Alto: Stories,” set in a fictional summer camp in the idyllic woodlands outside of the Bay Area. Campers explore their own sexualities, confront their teenage fears, and grow up together – navigating drama, making each other laugh, and forging the greatest memories of their young lives. From short story to short-form, the series is the first in a line of original content from the Rabbit Bandini_LAB, part of Maker_LABS.
– Fashpad – From the creators of CrashPad comes a new rapid-fire roundtable where fashion sensation P’Trique hosts guests in the Quad to highlight what matters most in the world…fashion!
– Fast or Fancy – What happens when Daym Drops and Amy Pham team up to face off with their taste buds? Find out on this new series where high and low food culture battle for bragging rights. White Castle slider or Minetta Tavern Black Label burger? Red O braised short rib taco or the El Chato Taco Truck’s al pastor taco? Fast or Fancy?
– The Look of Knowing: Part 2 – Inspired by the hit mini-series The Look of Knowing, CutiePieMarzia continues her adventures in the next chapter of this dark and quirky story—this time featuring Maya’s two pugs. Its “Coraline” meets “The Cowardly Dog” meets the unique vision and storytelling of CutiePieMarzia.
– Maker Tales – Classic fairy tales such as King Midas, Pinocchio, Hansel and Gretel, Red Riding Hood and Robin Hood are reimagined as music videos by some of Maker’s biggest stars including Tessa Violet, Iman Crosson, Dodger, Timothy DeLaGhetto, and more.
– Nursery Rhyme Mashups – Join Maruki, Tooki, and Chuki on their animated adventures, where they combine classic nursery rhymes with modern musical genres for a perfect sing-along series.
– Party Girl – A scripted comedy created by Lisa Schwartz that tells the story of an overachieving superstar, played by Lisa herself, who is forced to take a humiliating low-wage job and learns that it ain’t easy to make an honest living.
– Polaris Animated Universe – The most popular online gamers and animators collide in an original anthology series bringing mash-ups, parodies, and fan-favorite moments to life from popular “Let’s Play” series and podcasts. Fresh and spontaneous, each format is an homage to the storied franchises and larger-than-life personalities that unite the gaming community around the world.
– The Taryn Show – Who’s better at matchmaking, your friends or Tinder? What does a Facebook poke actually feel like? What if we could only communicate in 140 characters or less? Welcome to the world’s first late-night interactive digital experiment in web culture that features sketch comedy, interviews, and whatever else the interweb asks for—hosted by resident web geek Taryn Southern.
– This is Why You’re Single – A scripted series about two shallow, narcissistic, and oftentimes reprehensible BFFs who find themselves in relatable but elevated situations as they search for love (or a sugar-daddy, whatever’s easiest) in this absurd and excruciating look at dating in the modern world.
– Toddler Tonight – From the creators of “Convos with my 2-year-old” comes a new comedy that takes an irreverent look at kids through the lens of celebrity. “Entertainment Tonight,” “TMZ,” and “Fashion Police” get the toddler treatment by putting a paparazzi lens on kids eating what they shouldn’t, taking dance classes and sitting on the beach, a.k.a. doing what kids would normally do, but having adults provide comedic, color commentary along the way.
– Toy Detective – A live-action mystery adventure that follows unboxing superstar EvanTube as he solves mysteries for toys (as Ace Ventura did for pets) with the help of sister Jillian and other YouTube friends. The EvanTubeHD Detective Agency quickly gets in over its head, falling victim to hilarious hijinks and ridiculous twists on their quest to solve crimes.
– Traveling Band – A fresh new format from Portal A—a medley of music, comedy, and travel—the musical group The Gregory Brothers star in a semi-scripted mockumentary following their travels around the world, collaborating with unusual guests and being caught in unexpected situations. What happens when they realize 30 minutes before curtain in Vietnam that they have to make food and feed everyone in the audience? It’s the tour of a lifetime and we’re along for the ride.
– American Woman – In collaboration with ABC’s Lincoln Square Productions comes an irreverent docu-series about the women who made America great. Maker talent will ride through revolutionary history in search of the tough mothers who helped create our young nation, starting with the original 13 colonies, a map and a dream to uncover the women behind the men.
– I Am Maker – Emmy® Award-winning producers World of Wonder team with Maker and ABC Family to share an unprecedented look at what it takes to become a YouTube star today. Inspired by the roots of Maker, the series is an aspirational docu-series that follows a group of content creators who live together and are mentored by the biggest online talent.
While none of the titles are set in stone, several major YouTubers are committed to the new schedule including EvanTube, The Gregory Bros, Taryn Southern, P’trique and Convos With My 2-Year-Old (if you didn’t read that giant list). Additionally, according to Variety, Ynon Kriez the current CEO of Maker had some reveals about innovative partnerships:
“Marvel and Maker will be exploring original digital content based on Marvel intellectual property in addition to supporting current Marvel releases on other platforms. While no specific initiatives were identified, Maker had success last year helping promote Marvel’s release Guardians of the Galaxy.
“ESPN will bring top athletes of the X Games together with various stars across the Maker universe beginning this summer for content throughout the year.”
So expect the Mouse House’s latest major acquisition to start laying some golden eggs in the near future.