And they’ve posted some pretty excitable videos about the announcement.
CBS’s long-running reality show The Amazing Race is trying to grab a cut of the social media and YouTube game by filling the cast of its new season with high profile YouTubers and social media stars. Let the #AmazingRace start trending.
- Rooster Teeth‘s co-founder Burnie Burns and host of Rooster Teeth’s The Know Ashley Jenkins
- Dancers/Choreographers Dana Alexa (Borriello) and Matt Steffanina
- Erin Robinson (who offered this video announcement) alongside Joslyn Davis (and here’s her announcement)
- Blair Fowler and her dad Scott
- Marty Cobb and daughter Hagan Parkman
- Frisbee trick shot specialist Brodie Smith and fellow Ultimate Frisbee player Kurt Gibson
Vine stars are next-best represented, sending three teams to the race:
- Prankster/comedian Cole LaBrant and his mom Sheri
- Effects wizard Zack King and his wife Rachel
- Actor/comedian Darius Benson and brother Cam
The new season (the show’s 28th) will also be the first to live stream part of the race’s first stage. The stream will run on Facebook, and bring fans a live look in at the first destination on Sunday, November 15th at approximately 7:30pm pacific time.
All told, it seems like a smart move for the show to pull in social media and YouTube stars as a way to try to bring in new audiences. If it works, it could pay off in spades; Tyler Oakley’s audience, for instance, spans more than seven million potential viewers. While not all those seven million will make the jump to broadcast TV, including such popular online celebrities basically amounts to a chance for Amazing Race to literally double its audience.