We also know a few things about the sets that have been built and the general environments that Rogue One will take us to. Check them out.
- There’s a set description of a crashed X-wing in an urban, possibly Tatooine-esque environment with Stormtroopers combing the area. Could this possibly be towards the end of the film when the Rebels beam the Death Star plans to Princess Leia orbiting Tatooine?
- TMZ released these images that appear to detail a tropical, Hawaii-esque set with a lot of wreckage and battle marks, consistent with the film’s military tone.
- The film will feature traditional Stormtroopers, but will also debut the first official Shadowtroopers, which look similar to Stormtroopers but all in black, sometimes with jetpacks. Fans have been cosplaying as Shadowtroopers for some time and they showed up in the old Expanded universe, but this is the first that we’ve seen them in a film.
- There are some set images that look suspiciously like the temples of Yavin, seen in A New Hope. The official cast image would seem to confirm that part of the film takes place on Yavin.
- There is reportedly a Death Star set, which is not surprising considering the entire film revolves around the plans for the Death Star.
So it sounds like Rogue One will take us to some familiar locations, but also include a scattering of new planets as well. The tropical planet featured in the teaser, as well as some set photos, appears to be new.
The tone is quite different from the Star Wars films we’ve seen so far. Check out what Lucasfilm has revealed.
- According to Kathleen Kennedy (president of Lucasfilm) the film will be a “departure from the saga films but have elements that are familiar to the Star Wars universe.”
- The film will feature a ground-war tone and perspective, similar to films like Saving Private Ryan.
- The film may be more scientifically grounded than traditional Star Wars films.
So there you have it. In summary, the film will be a dark ground-war film with a stellar cast (many of them Oscar winners/nominees). The plot should be exciting for any fan. The most exciting aspect of this film is the fact that it’s a tonal departure from traditional Star Wars films, something that should make it all the more interesting. It’s a fresh look at a galaxy far, far away.